J. Mack Gamble Fund
The Purpose of the Fund
Mr. J. Mack Gamble was the first president of the Sons and Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen. His father was an owner of packet boats operating in the Upper Ohio River trades in the late 19th and the first decade of the 20th century. For many years, he was also the chairman of the Board of Governors of S&D and was a leader in promotion of its aims and projects.
J. Mack Gamble had worked for a brief period as a packet boat clerk before attending college but his life’s work was as an educator. He held a master’s degree in education and history from Ohio University in Athens and, after teaching at several one-room country schools in Monroe County, Ohio, was long the principal of the Clarington (Ohio) Elementary School.
Upon his death in 1973, J. Mack Gamble gave a sizeable bequest to the Sons and Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen. This bequest was used to establish the J. Mack Gamble Fund in 1976. The Fund is administered for the Board of Governors by three trustees.
Applications for Grants
Applications for grants may be submitted at any time. However, initial consideration for awards during the calendar year usually takes place in February and it is suggested that applications be submitted by February 1.
A proposal must include a completed J. Mack Gamble Fund application form and a full description of the project. The information provided should include:
- IRS letter of determination for tax exempt status as a 501(c)(3) organization.
- A statement of the purpose of your organization as it relates to the preservation of the history of the rivers.
- The objective and benefits of the project for which funding is requested.
- Future funding for the project, if applicable.
- If the requested grant is all or part of funding to qualify for matching funds, details should be provided.
J. Mack Gamble Fund grants will not be considered for:
- Organizations not having 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.
- Projects not directly related to the purposes of S&D.
- Multiple year projects or programs.
- Endowment funds.
Click here to download the application form.
Applications should be mailed to:
Capt. Bill Barr
1910 Redstone Rd.
South Charleston, WV 25309